HeaderExpand

Monday, April 7, 2014

Liberty and Me

I just love a big woman with a thing for immigrants. My 5’6”grandmother weighed 190 lbs. on her wedding day in 1920 to my 5’4” grandfather – who only weighed 155 lbs. She looks as if she is going to devour him (in that really sexy, good way) in their wedding picture. And according to my mother, they  were the happiest couple to ever walk the face of the earth. My grandfather was an Italian immigrant, who literally walked off the boat and into the arms of that big, jolly woman.
On my 14th birthday I came to NYC for the first time in my life. 
I climbed to the top of Statue of Liberty and looked out at NY Harbor through the windows of her crown, then saw my first Broadway Show – “Grease”. Some might say that this was a very formative day in my life. Fast-forward to 1986 and I found myself standing on the Brooklyn Bridge watching the fireworks fly overhead celebrating the Statue’s 100th Birthday. Forward again to 2006 and I get my first glimpse of a showcase production of LIBERTY.


More than 4 million people a year take the time to get a close look at Liberty Enlightening the World (the statue’s real title). Maybe I’m crazy, but I think that a small percentage of them actually THINK about her. We have lent our songs in celebration of her 125th Anniversary and enjoyed a successful premiere this past year.  Now we look forward to sharing her story with millions more.

Theresa Wozunk -  Producer Liberty The Musical

No comments:

Post a Comment


Blog